What Is a Muffler Delete?A muffler delete is the process of removing the muffler from the car’s exhaust system. The muffler is the device responsible for dampening the sound emitted by the car because of the vibrations and the heat created by the internal combustion engine. There are many reasons why removing the muffler might be something desirable by the car’s owner, especially for the owners of circuit cars – here are some:
- Improved performance – a muffler delete can significantly improve the car’s exhaust flow, thus increasing the horsepower delivered by the car’s engine;
- A great, roaring sound – if you like the loud roar of a powerful engine, you can get it with a muffler delete. However, you need to check with local decibel regulations to be sure your car will not exceed the permitted limits. In most cases it’s best just to get custom mufflers designed for your car that adds style to your vehicle vs noise;
- A more attractive appearance – the back of your car will look better with no muffler protruding underneath;
- Reduced overall weight – any weight that is removed from the car’s body translates into more power, so even if the muffler is not a particularly heavy component, removing it will make your car stronger;
- A cheap way to get all the above benefits – the other method that usually brings the same results is replacing the existing exhaust pipe with a straight pipe that has no muffler, but why replace the entire line if you can achieve the same effects by removing only the muffler.